While adding channels and apps to your Roku device is incredibly the simplest, given the most user-friendly interface of the app, you can, fortunately, remove them from your Roku in the same way.
Now unlike most streaming devices, Roku comes with this exclusive hide and unhide feature which makes it easy to flood your homepage with channels you don’t need as well as need at the same time.
However, note that removing a channel like Netflix, which is a subscription-based channel, won’t cancel that subscription. You have to cancel your Netflix/Disney/Amazon Prime account separately lest you don’t want to pay anymore.
So, here’s how we’d guide you on how to remove or hide Roku channels, using the device itself or the mobile app.
Table of Contents
Why would you Hide/Remove Channels from Roku?
Well, you’d like to use the hide/remove channel feature on Roku for several reasons.
Roku is a very popular streaming platform that offers a wide base of content for both adults and children.
So, while your little ones at home will watch it too, it would therefore be inappropriate to give them without control and important for you to know how to hide Roku channels.
Roku makes your task a little more than easier. You can easily separate unwanted content from children using its Parental Control feature.
Besides, you can also remove channels in Roku that are no longer in use from your channel list.
Say, if you have several sports channels installed, but you rarely watch all of them except a particular one or two that interests you, you can remove all the other sports channels.
You can both remove/hide channels that gives you more room for new channels and features in your Roku Channel Store.
How to Remove/Hide Channels from Roku
As mentioned earlier, you can search for numerous channels and add them at your discretion on Roku.
These channels are classified as hidden or private channels. But you may have reasons to hide or remove a couple of them.
So, let’s check out how to Remove them from Roku in 3 different ways.
Removing channels from the Roku channel lineup
Removing channels from the Roku channel lineup is one of the fastest ways on your Roku device.
However, note that your Roku home screen may look slightly different depending on the type of Roku device you’re using.
To remove channels from the Roku channel lineup you must take a note of the steps below:
- Start the removal process beginning from the Home screen to find which channel you want to remove.
- Now press the star button (*) on your remote to open the channel details.
- Upon finding the menu for that specific channel, you should locate a “Remove Channel” option listed. Scroll down to select it from the list of options and press OK on the remote to confirm the operation.
- Finally, you have to confirm your choice to remove the specific channel by selecting Remove and pressing OK.
Removing channels from the Roku Channel Store
Looking for an alternative to remove your channel other than your channel lineup option but don’t know if that’s possible?
It is possible with a couple of available alternatives. You can also remove any unwanted channel(s) from the Roku Channel Store, which displays all of the available and downloaded channels. To do this:
- Visit your Roku’s homepage and select the Streaming Channels icon from the left sidebar.
- Upon locating the channel you want to remove, either via searching for it or selecting from the preset list, press the OK button on your remote to launch the Channel Store.
- Now on the selected channel’s information page, select Remove channel, and then confirm.
Removing channels from the Roku mobile app
If you don’t find the first two options suitable, there’s a third alternative to remove channels from Roku. The Roku application is available for free download on both iOS and Android mobile devices. Install the app before beginning the procedure.
- Launch the Roku mobile app and connect the app to your Roku device. Note: both need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Once connected, move to the Devices tab and select Channels.
- A list of all the channels installed on your device will be displayed to you. Press and hold your finger on the one you want to remove, and tap Remove to complete the process.
Besides, removing a channel from your list forever using either of the steps above, you can also Hide or Restrict channel(s) on Roku. Let’s check out how to do so:
- Set up a 4-Digit Pin
With the help of a 4-digit PIN, you can actually set a limit on the number of channels that can be added to your Roku account.
Note: This PIN does not prevent browsing through certain X-rated titles or watching already loaded X-rated channels. To create a 4-digit pin:
- From the Roku Website Log in with your Roku account either using your phone or PC.
- Your next step will be to access the My Account Page.
- From here, beneath “Pin Preferences” select “Update” > and the option that requires a PIN number to add channels to the Roku Channel Store.
- Once done, select to enter a 4-digit PIN > Enter a PIN > and click Save.
Hiding Channels from Roku
Once you’ve set up a pin number, you can Hide any number of Roku’s channels. So, let’s get started:
- To get started, turn on your Roku TV and visit the home screen to select “My Channels”.
- Now navigate to the specific channel you want to hide > press the * (button) button on the remote > Re-select the channel you want to hide > Click OK.
- In this way, you can select any number of channel(s) you want to hide one at a time.
- To hide the channels all at once Go to Roku’s Settings > Homescreen > Movie Store and Tv Store
Now, there are two options you can follow. Upon selecting hide from it, all the selected channels will be hidden. Similarly, upon selecting the Show option, all the hidden channels will be shown again.
Note: If the channels you selected to hide are spared, but the other channels are hidden, do the opposite of what you learned above.
Hide and Seek Roku Channels
Streaming has added a new spark to our otherwise boring lives, especially since the mid-phase of the pandemic.
It has made it easier to watch movies and on-demand content without the need for you to step outside the home. Isn’t it? but deciding one best out of the ever-growing catalog of streaming services available today becomes a bit tricky.
However, one of the best and most dedicated streaming devices available today is Roku.
Remember the Hide and Seek Game you played as a kid? Quite similarly, Roku’s exclusive Parental Control feature allows you to hide, remove and seek any number of channels you want.
By now you may have gathered a couple of additional questions about hiding/removing channels on Roku. Let’s check if your queries can be solved:
Q. Roku private channels: Are they legal?
Absolutely. Had they been illegal, Roku wouldn’t support their use in the first place. Consequently, you will not face any legal repercussions for accessing these channels.
Q. Can I safely access Roku Private Channels?
Yes, Roku channels are safe for the most part. However, you should still be cautious about the kind of content you access.
Roku’s private channels aren’t verified. So, some of them contain copyrighted content, which can lead to takedowns intruding on your viewing experience.
However, if you’re concerned about your system getting hacked or infected by malware, you can rest assured as Roku private channels are sandboxed.
Q. How do I Add back Hidden Roku Channels
Whether you own a Roku Ultra, Roku Express, or Roku Streaming Stick Plus, to access the hidden channels on all Roku devices, all you need to do is:
- Visit my roku.com from your mobile phone or computer and sign in to your Roku account.
- Select Add channel with a code under the Manage Account section.
- Enter your channel access code and click Add Channel.
- A popup warning appears. Tap OK to proceed.
- Choose “Yes, Add Channel” and you’re done!
Note, that the hidden channel won’t immediately appear in your Roku channels list. But if you want immediate access, go to Settings > System > System Update > Check Now from your Roku device.
Q. How to delete multiple channels on Roku?
To do this, first, confirm that your Roku device is connected to your TV. On the Roku home page, browse and scroll down to select all of the channels you wish to remove. Select Remove Channels from the menu and complete the process by pressing the OK button. All of the installed channels will be removed from your channel list.
Q. How much do Roku channels cost?
Note Roku channels and or any apps can be installed free of cost on your Roku device. You only need to pay for subscription-based channels like Netflix, Hulu etc to stream its services online or download its content on Roku.
There are never any additional charges to install apps on your Roku.
Q. How do I hide antenna channels on Roku?
You can quickly follow the steps below to hide antenna channels on Roku:
- First, select the Antenna TV options>Edit channel option
- Now select how to delete Roku channels and tap on the delete option.
- Finally on OK to confirm the settings.
Q. Can I lock channels on Roku?
No, you cannot lock channels on Roku as such but you can hide a channel using the 4-digit PIN you’ve set up.
The Roku operating system doesn’t allow a PIN to lock any existing channels.
Therefore, if there are channels for adults, they can only be Hidden using the steps above.
Q. What’s all about Roku’s child and family section?
Roku’s child and family section feature helps you to hide channels from children. This is a Child-friendly content section. This feature is free and can be used to provide high content that benefits parents who can easily access it for their children.
The section is particularly executed by the Roku Special Editorial Board.
You can add channels to this section but with the help of a 4-number password.
Q. Can I restrict access to movies/TV shows on Roku?
If you’re using a Roku TV, you have the privilege to restrict access depending on the movie/TV ratings.
Note: Any program that does not meet the specified rating will be automatically blocked. To restrict access on Roku here’s what you need to do:
- Using your Roku TV remote control, press the Home button.
- Using the directional button, scroll down to select Settings >>>Parental controls.
- Turn on to activate the parental control feature. At this stage, you can now set the desired movie/ TV rating limits. Alternatively, you may also block it entirely.
- Any program you’ve blocked will not show audio, video, or even title description unless the Roku PIN is entered.
Q. Can I Hide the TV Store and Movie Store
Besides removing any channel(s) of your choice, you can also hide the TV store and the Movie Store items in the following ways:
- From Roku’s home page, tap on Settings > Home Screen.
- From here, select the shown arrow at the right corner and proceed.
On the next page, click on TV Store and Movie Store, and select Hide.