Have you recently got an Xbox Gaming console? Well, before you begin leveraging the amazing games and other applications on your console, you would want to set up the device with your Microsoft account. To do so, you will need to connect your Microsoft account to Xbox on the microsoft.com/link. In this guide, you will not only be provided to connect your Microsoft account at microsoft.com/link for Xbox but also for Nintendo Switch.
Steps to Link Microsoft Account with Xbox at microsoft.com/link
Even though there are different methods that you can use to sign in to your Microsoft account on Xbox, this post is provided to particularly help you connect your Microsoft account on Xbox using microsoft.com/link.
- Turn on your Xbox Gaming Console and make sure it is connected to a WiFi network.
- If you are launching your Xbox for the first time, you may need to follow certain on-screen instructions to complete the basic configuration.
- Once you get directed to the home screen of your Xbox console, press the Xbox icon button on your remote controller. This will open a menu on the left side of your screen.
- From the menu, select the Sign-in option. You will be directed to the next screen where you will be prompted to enter your password.
- If you do not wish to enter the password and wish to use an alternative method to sign in, tap on the Use another device button. Doing so will direct you to another screen where you will be provided an 8-digit code along with this link – microsoft.com/link.
- Use this link on your phone/pc browser to access the account connection page.
- On the page that loads on your screen, enter the code that you received on your Xbox device-connected TV screen.
- Once you are done entering the code, click on the Next button.
- On the next screen, enter your Microsoft account Username (Email, Phone, or Skype) and click Next. Then, enter the password and click Sign In.
- After that, select the Yes/No to stay logged in or not. You will then see a message that reads – “You are now signed in to Xbox. You can safely close this window”.
Finally, you can return to your Xbox-connected TV screen and start playing your favorite games. Connecting your Microsoft account to the Xbox will also allow you to keep your profile history including Gamerscore, Gamertag, Achievements, and so on.
Use Passkey to Make The Most of your Microsoft Account on Xbox
Although following the instructions mentioned above will help you to connect your Microsoft account to your Xbox console, if you wish to make the most of the Microsoft services, consider having a passkey. A passkey, when enabled, works as an added layer of security that offers the following advantages:
- Protects against unauthorized access to the Xbox even if someone has access to the password.
- Purchases can’t be done without the passkey.
- Parental controls can’t be changed without the passkey.
- When you set a passkey on your profile, it becomes effective for any Xbox console you use with the same account.
To Create a Passkey
If you wish to create a passkey for your Xbox Console, you can follow the instructions provided below.
- On your controller, press the Xbox button to access the guide.
- Next, go to Profile & system > Settings > Account.
- Then, select the Sign-in, security & passkey option.
- After that, tap on the Create my passkey option.
- You can then enter a 6-digit passkey (twice) to confirm it. Your passkey will be configured.
To Change your Passkey
In case you ever need to change the passkey on your Xbox gaming console, you can do so easily by following the steps suggested below.
- Access the guide by tapping the Xbox button on your remote controller.
- Next, navigate to Profile & system > Settings > Account option.
- Then, select the Sign-in, security & passkey option.
- After that, tap on the Change my passkey option.
- Enter your current 6-digit passkey followed by the new passkey.
- Save the changes and your new passkey will become effective.
So, this is how you can connect your Microsoft account with Xbox at microsoft.com/link and secure your console with a passkey. Additionally, if you wish to connect your Microsoft account with Nintendo Switch on the microsoft.com/link, follow the instructions suggested below.
Connect Microsoft account to Nintendo Switch on the microsoft.com/link
Nintendo Switch users look to connect their Microsoft account at Microsoft.com/link to play Minecraft with the various players apart from the ones belonging to the Nintendo Switch platform. To know the process in detail, refer to the instructions below.
- On your Nintendo Switch, launch the Minecraft game.
- From the home screen of the Minecraft game, select the Sign In with A Microsoft account option.
- On the next screen, you will be provided an 8-digit code and a link to the website (microsoft.com/link) to complete the process.
- Now, open this link on your phone/pc browser and enter the code in the prompted field.
- Then, tap the Next button and sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Once logged in, complete the remaining instructions to connect your Microsoft account to the Nintendo Switch console. You can now play Minecraft with the various players using Windows 10, Android, Xbox, or iOS.
Frequently Asked Questions
The code appears to be invalid. How to fix it?
Make sure that the code you are entering is correct and in the right casing. If the problem persists, try fetching a new code by restarting the device. Also, do not close the screen displaying the code until you are done completing the connection process.
How to sign in directly on the Xbox console using a controller?
- In case no one is logged in, tap the Add new option and follow the on-screen prompts.
- In case someone is logged in already, navigate to Profile & system > tap on the Add or switch option and then press the Add new option. You can then simply follow the on-screen instructions.
How to recover my Microsoft account password?
- Go to the Microsoft account reset page (https://account.live.com/password/reset).
- Enter your Email, phone, or Skype name in the provided field and click Next.
- On the next screen, follow the on-screen prompts to reset the password of your Microsoft account.
Which Xbox Gaming consoles can be connected to Microsoft account via microsoft.com/link?
Xbox Series X/S or Xbox One console can be easily connected with a Microsoft account on the microsoft.com/link.